Alphabets

    Happy new year, everyone. How was your winter vacation? I was working part-time at a shrine. That was a great experience, and I will never forget it.
    These days, I have a lot of books that I bought but have not read yet. The Japanese translation of The Intellectual Devotional is one of them. Readers are expected to read 1 topic a day, which helps them to gain general knowledge. Today I read an article about the alphabets and their history. 
    The article focused on why alphabets were established. Around 2000 B.C., The Egyptian leaders had a problem. They had many slaves that they got throughout many wars, and they had trouble conveying orders to them because they couldn't read Egyptian sentences. Egyptian was written by characters called hieroglyph then, and it was so complicated that even Egyptians had difficulties. Just in case you don't know what characters are, they represent meanings, not sounds. After these difficulties, leaders decided to introduce a more simple writing system. That was the Phoenician Alphabet, which is an ancestor of today's alphabets. Alphabets represented sounds, so it was easier for Egyptian slaves, which were basically foreigners. This alphabet spread around Egypt as the slaves went back home. That was a summary of what the article says.
    Well, it is interesting Chinese is still written by characters (So is Japanese).

Comments

  1. I wrote a class diary in hieroglyphs only once when I was in high school. That was a little mischief.😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see that you are smart! Please tell us how you got interested in ancient history. Who influenced you?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It's Important to Be Honest during Interviews.

Driver's License

Babilonia